• Mynd 2
  • Mynd 3
  • Mynd 6

Historic sites

Historic sites, notable places and remarkable areas within Southern Iceland, close to Kirkjubaejarklaustur

Historic sites

Skaftßrhreppur district

Skaftßrhreppur district

The Skaftßrhreppur district is the second largest region in Iceland but very thinly populated. The district derives its name from the Skaftß river, which rises beneath the Skaftßrj÷kull glacier and flows down to the sea. The river is about 115 km in lenght. The cornerstone of the local economy is agriculture and animal husbandry, while tourism is a growing sector. KirkjubŠjarklaustur or just Klaustur is a centre of commerce, services and industry. The population of Skaftßrhreppur is about 460. The district spans a great variety of landscape and vegetation, with a natural environment of striking contrasts. Skaftßrhreppur enjoys a pleasant climate, with mild winters and warm, sunny summers.
Read more
Rev. Jˇns SteingrÝmsson's Chapel

Rev. Jˇns SteingrÝmsson's Chapel

The chapel at KirkjubŠjarklaustur was consecrated in 1974. It was built in the memory of reverend Jˇn SteingrÝmsson, fire cleric (1728-1791). He said the famous Eldmessa (Fire Mass) on July 20, 1783 in the church in Klaustur. Many believe that the Eldmessa stopped the stream of the lava that threatened habitation at the time. The place where the stream of lava stopped is now called Eldmessutangi and is to the west of Systrastapi, but the chapel is situated a little to the east of the old church site. The old cemetery in KirkjubŠjarklaustur was fenced in with a concrete wall. There are a few gravestones in the cemetery, among them one at the grave of reverend Jˇn SteingrÝmsson and his wife ١runn.
Read more
ŮykkvabŠjarklaustur

ŮykkvabŠjarklaustur

ŮykkvabŠjarklaustur is a church site in ┴lftaver and was formerly the location of a monastery founded in 1186 which remained active until the Reformation. Eysteinn ┴sgrÝmsson a monk at ŮykkvabŠjarklaustur in the 14th century composed the poem Lilja, one of Icelands most famous medieval devotional poems. A pillar of columnar basalt has been erected where the monastery is believed to have stood.
Read more
KirkjubŠjarklaustur

KirkjubŠjarklaustur

KirkjubŠjarklaustur was known in olden times as ôKirkjubŠrö (Church Farm) and was an important farming estate. KirkjubŠjarklaustur has developed into a village, the only centre of population in the district, with about 120 inhabitants and is also known as Klaustur.
Read more
N˙pssta­ur

N˙pssta­ur

N˙pssta­ur is the easternmost farm in Skaftßrhreppur district and lies east of mount. Lˇmagn˙pur about 35 km. from KirkjubŠjarklaustur on the road nr.1. At N˙pssta­ur there are remarkable old buildings that are believed to be typical for farms in Iceland in past centuries. The most noteworthy of these is the chapel, one of few remaining turf churches in the country.
Read more

Fri­ur og frumkraftar á| áKt. 411009-2620 á| Klausturvegi 2 á| á880 KirkjubŠjarklaustur á| áTel +354 4874620 á| visitklaustur@visitklaustur.is

Vatnajokull national parká á á áKatla Geoparká á á áKirkjubŠjarstofaá á ááVisit South Icelandá á áInspired by Icelandá á áIcelandic Tourist Boardá áá

Video

See videos of south Iceland.


View our videos

Weather

KirkjubŠjarklaustur

Thu. kl. 00:00
m/s
°C

Go to vedur.is for more

Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter

Gallery

Follow us

You can follow us on Facebook

Facebook