KirkjubŠjarklaustur KirkjubŠjarklaustur was known in olden times as ôKirkjubŠrö (Church Farm) and was an important farming estate. KirkjubŠjarklaustur has



Kirkubæjarklaustur, often abbreviated to “Klaustur,” is centrally located in the district and offers shops and services to travellers. Roads radiate from Kirkjubæjarklaustur in many different directions. The Ring Road (No.1) runs through the district. Kirkjubæjarklaustur has a long and interesting history: Irish hermits, “Papar,”  are believed to have lived at Kirkjubær before the Norse settlement of Iceland. Tradition says that it has always been inhabited by Christians, and that pagans were unwelcome. The 9th-century settler Ketill the Foolish made his home at Kirkjubær. After Ketill’s time, Hildir Eysteinsson from Meðalland, a pagan, attempted to move to Kirkjubær. When he set foot on the estate, he fell down dead, and was buried in Hildishaugur (Hildir’s Mound), a rocky hillock just east of Kirkjubæjarklaustur.

 In 1186, a Benedictine convent was founded at Kirkjubær. The convent was active until disbanded at the Reformation in 1550. Many local placenames and folktales reflect the presence of the nuns and ecclesiastical history down the centuries.

Suggested places to visit within the village or very near are Systrafoss and Systravatn, Systrastapi, Kirkjugólfið,Hildishaugur, Rauðárfoss, Sönghóll, Sönghellir, Glennarar and Hjónasteinn.


Fri­ur og frumkraftar á| áKt. 411009-2620 á| Klausturvegi 2 á| á880 KirkjubŠjarklaustur á| áTel +354 4874620 á|

Vatnajokull national parká á á áKatla Geoparká á á áKirkjubŠjarstofaá á ááVisit South Icelandá á áInspired by Icelandá á áIcelandic Tourist Boardá áá


See videos of south Iceland.

View our videos



Thu. kl. 00:00

Go to for more


Subscribe to our newsletter


Follow us

You can follow us on Facebook